Microscopy of common rocks and minerals (Petrography)Register
- November 21st to 25th 2016
- UPM, Madrid
A one-week, hands-on introductory course of an essentially practical character, for beginners and / or professionals willing to upgrade their skills
Schedule and equipment:
40 hours student’s work (50 % following explanations or discussing with professor, 50 % student’s personal work).
Fully equipped microscopy lab, with one modern microscope for each student.
- 1st day: Optical mineralogy. Work with the petrographic microscope. Sample preparation.
- 2nd day: Systematic identification of common minerals (mainly silicates and carbonates).
- 3rd day: Igneous rocks (textural characterization, classification, interpretation).
- 4th day: Sedimentary and metamorphic rocks (textural characterization, classification, interpretation).
- 5th day: Applications to exploration and industrial problems. Hydrothermal alteration and weathering.
Nov 21 to 25, 2016; hours 15:00 to 19:00
Please see the following pdf for more information